MMS vs PGDM
Do I pursue an MMS or a PGDM programme? What is the difference between MMS and PGDM? Are the placements same for both MMS and PGDM? Is the curriculum different for MMS and PGDM? If you are having these perplexing questions then this article is for you.
By Pradeep Shashidharan | Head-Admission Consultant (UG) | IMS Learning Resources Pvt Ltd
MMS: Masters in Management Studies
- Masters in Management Studies is a programme offered by colleges which are affiliated to both a University and the AICTE. Since we are talking about Mumbai, thus, an MMS degree is offered by the Mumbai University.
- An MMS degree has to be as per the norm of Directorate of Technical Education, Mumbai University; hence it is a structured programme.
- It is a 2 year full time programme.
- The selection process is through a Common Entrance Test (CET).
- It is not possible to alter the subjects or courses within the syllabus as it’s already pre-decided and follows a set curriculum. For instance, if a student is pursuing MMS and would like to learn a language, s/he won’t be able to, as a part of the curriculum. So, it does lack flexibility of choosing subjects unlike in PGDM programmes.
- However, it is worth doing an MMS programme from one of the top colleges as the return on investments are higher because the course fees for 2 years is relatively cheaper than a full time PGDM programme.
Let’s take a look at the table below to see the top B Schools in Mumbai offering MMS and PGDM programmes:
|Institute Name||MMS||PGDM||Test (s) Accepted|
|Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies (JBIMS)||||||MAH-CET|
|Sydenham Institute of Management Studies,
Research and Entrepreneurship Education (SIMSREE)
|N L Dalmia||MH-CET, CAT, MAT, XAT, CMAT, ATMA|
|S.I.E.S College of Management Studies||MH-CET, CAT, MAT, XAT, CMAT, ATMA|
|Welingkar Institute of Management||MH-CET, CAT, XAT, ATMA, CMAT, GMAT|
PGDM: Post Graduate Diploma in Management
- PGDM is offered by the institute. For instance, if you are pursuing a PGDM from SIMSREE, then your certificate will be offered by SIMSREE.
- The PGDM program is the one which is only recognised by AICTE (All India Council For Technical Education). The PGDM programme provides a student the flexibility of choosing and doing courses which are in sync with the industry trends. For instance, certification programs in digital marketing, advanced excel, NLP, training and development, different languages and so on.
- Please ensure that any PGDM programme that you enrol should be AICTE accredited. If you are thinking of pursuing Phd after your PGDM then it has to be AIU approved.
- PGDM selection process are varied for different institutes, but it is mandatory that the student has taken one of the national management entrance exam like a CAT, XAT, CET, MAT etc. and has to follow the other shortlisting processes such as, group discussion, case study, personal interview sessions.
- It is obvious that the fees of the PGDM programmes are usually more than an MMS programmes. In case you are wondering if the placements are the same for PGDM and MMS? The answer is Yes, they are the same for most of the top colleges.
To sum it up: Whether you are planning to pursue an MMS or a PGDM, it is imperative that you select a good B School that fits your career goals.
The writer is the Head-Admission Consultant (UG) with IMS Learning Resources; Chairperson, Digital Media at Mumbai University and Board of Studies Member at Mumbai University with more than 10 years of teaching experience in several B-Schools in Mumbai.